The 35-year-old infielder had his contract selected from Triple-A Reno on Thursday, and he is one of several players who will try to fill in for shortstop Stephen Drew, who was lost to a season-ending ankle injury on Wednesday.
Ransom has appeared in 219 Major League games between stints with the Giants, Astros, Yankees and Phillies. He also has experience filling in for a star player. He was the Yankees' Opening Day third baseman in 2009, when Alex Rodriguez was on the disabled list with a hip injury.
"I'm not looking for any infielders," general manager Kevin Towers said, referring to the barren shortstop trade market. "I don't see much out there that's available, and Cody's got experience. He's one of the best hitters in Triple-A baseball right now. Why not give him a crack at it? It's not like we're bringing a young kid up. He's not going to be in awe of this situation, and hopefully he takes advantage of this opportunity."
Ransom was hitting .331 with 28 doubles, 26 homers and 89 RBIs in 92 games for Reno. He led the Minor Leagues in RBIs and was second in extra-base hits, with 57.
"It's probably been one of the better years of my career so far," Ransom said. "It's been more consistent than I've been, and it's a lot of fun to play this year."
Having a player with experience waiting in the wings is one of the reasons the D-backs increased their Triple-A payroll this year, from around $500,000 to around $900,000. Players who have more experience tend to cost more, but the D-backs do not want to rush any of their younger prospects because of injuries at the big league level.
"Hopefully he continues to play good defense and swing a hot bat like he's done in Reno all year long," Towers said.