Reynolds extension talks continue

Reynolds extension talks continue

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Mark Reynolds' representative met with the D-backs face-to-face on Friday, but there is still no resolution to his contract extension talks.

"I guess the meeting was positive," Reynolds said before the D-backs took on the Giants on Saturday. "Still a work in progress."

Reynolds on Friday expressed frustration with the pace of the talks, calling them a "distraction."

"It's kind of annoying," he said at the time. "I've got my teammates asking me about it, I have [the media] obviously, I know you're doing your job, which is great, but the sooner the better for me. It's something to the point where I don't want to come in after every game and check my phone or have meeting after meeting and take time away from my family. I'm certainly hoping that we come to some kind of agreement, but I'm 100 percent fine if it doesn't happen. I'll play this year and see what happens next year."

Reynolds hit 44 homers last year and drove in 102 runs while hitting .260 and improving his defense at third base. He also set a Major League record for strikeouts with 223, surpassing his own record from the year before when he fanned 208 times.

Reynolds, 26, just missed qualifying for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" player this year. That means the club still has the right to set his salary for 2010. After that, he has three years of arbitration eligibility. As such, the D-backs can set his salary for 2010 and he said they renewed his contract for $500,000 while they continue to negotiate on a two-year deal that would cover 2011 and 2012.

"We're just trying to get it done," Reynolds said. "I don't know if we're any closer than we were a week ago."

Steve Gilbert is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.